Coverage for taxi drivers in case of a workplace injury

How do I know if I have WCB coverage?

All taxi drivers in Saskatchewan can get WCB coverage. The type of coverage for individual taxi drivers depends on the arrangements the driver has made with the taxi cab company or the owner of the taxi.

All taxi companies are required to provide coverage for dispatchers, clerical and administrative staff. For taxi driver coverage, there are several factors that must be considered to determine whether taxi drivers are independent workers or whether they are regular workers of the taxi firm.  This includes the ownership of the vehicle, how the drivers are being paid, and whether the driver hires a relief driver.

There are two ways taxi drivers can get WCB coverage:

 When does a taxi driver need to apply for WCB coverage?   When is WCB coverage automatic for taxi drivers?
  • When a taxi driver leases the car from someone else
  • When a taxi driver sub-leases the car from someone else
  • When a taxi driver owns the vehicle (owner-operator)
  • When a taxi driver is paid as a worker (i.e. T4) or contractor

Optional personal coverage for taxi drivers

Most taxi drivers in Saskatchewan may be eligible to purchase optional personal coverage with the WCB. If optional personal coverage is not purchased by a taxi driver, there may not be any WCB coverage in place if a work injury happens.

Apply for Coverage

Optional personal coverage is for individuals not automatically covered under The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013 (the Act). When personal coverage is purchased, the applicant becomes a worker and is eligible for benefits under the Act.

If you are injured at work, the WCB may be able to help you provide for your family. When you purchase WCB optional personal coverage, you may qualify for benefits if you are injured at work.

With optional personal coverage:

You can purchase optional personal coverage for any amount between the 2018 minimum personal coverage amount ($22,797) and the maximum assessable wage rate ($82,627).  For the taxi industry, the 2018 premium rate is $1.52 per $100 of coverage. Based on the 2018 WCB premium rates, the cost of optional personal coverage for taxi drivers would range from $347 to $1,256 per year.

In the event of an injury, you will be required to provide proof of earnings if the amount of coverage you requested is higher than the minimum. Therefore, the amount of coverage purchased should reflect your employment income.

If your proof of earnings is less than the amount of coverage you have purchased, we will reduce your coverage to the confirmed amount. Your premiums are non-refundable, so please make sure you choose an amount that is no more than your actual earnings. For example, if your annual earnings is $30,000, you may request coverage up to $30,000. Your premiums will be calculated as $30,000 x $1.52 / 100 = $456 for the full year.

Your personal coverage takes effect at 12:01 a.m. the day after we receive your application or at a later date if you request it.

  • Coverage is subject to a minimum of three months each year.
  • Your Employer’s Statement (EPS) must be returned by February 28th each year. If our office has not received this form by the due date, your coverage will be cancelled and you will be responsible for premiums due to-date.
  • Payments must be made by the due date on your Statement of Account (SOA) or your coverage will be cancelled.
  • To cancel coverage, you must send a request in writing. Coverage will be cancelled the day we receive your request and you will be responsible for premiums to the date of cancellation.