Benefits for injured workers


We provide benefits to injured workers, depending on the medical and vocational needs of the situation.

Medical costs

We pay for medical treatment, hospital care, prescription drugs and medical supplies. Saskatchewan Health does not cover these costs for work injury claims.

WCB accredited psychologists have agreed that the WCB may publish their contact information so that workers or employers may reach out them regarding treatment for mental health issues arising from a work injury.

Travel expenses

If the injured worker must travel outside their home community for medical appointments or treatment, we may cover travel costs.

Additional expenses 

You may also qualify for temporary additional expenses for expenses related to your work injury that are over and above what you would normally incur. These expenses must be pre-approved and copies of original receipts are required.

For example:

  • cutting grass
  • shovelling snow

Earning loss benefits

If an injured worker is only off work on the day of the injury, we will only pay for medical treatment.

If the injured worker misses work after the day of the injury, we will pay benefits for lost earnings. Earnings loss benefits are based on 90% of net earnings (gross earnings minus probable deductions for income tax, Canada pension and employment insurance).

Each worker’s gross earnings are only insured to the current maximum in effect on the date of the injury.

Learn more about the WCB’s maximum wage rate and the current rates.

Any adjustments in an injured worker’s weekly earnings because of an increase in the maximum wage rate will occur during your annual benefit review date.Benefits are adjusted each year based on changes in the Saskatchewan consumer price index.

Because earnings loss benefits are calculated on employment income, injured workers must tell their case manager if they are missing work at more than one job due to the injury. They also must tell when they:

  • Return to work for you or start any job with a new employer.
  • Earn any other income while receiving WCB benefits.
  • Start a business.
  • If they are already self-employed or involved in partnership activities.

You must tell us in a timely manner when you go back to work. If you do not, we will create and recover an overpayment if wage-loss payments continue after you go back to work.

We will continue earnings loss benefits as long as the injury continues, but not after age 65. Some exceptions could apply.

Permanent functional impairment (PFI) benefits

If a work injury leaves part of the worker’s body not functioning as it did before the injury, they may have a permanent functional impairment (PFI) and be eligible for a lump sum payment.

Injured workers with a permanent functional impairment (PFI) can get an annual independence allowance to help them live independently. This allowance is a percentage of the permanent functional impairment award.

Loss of pension benefits

If a worker gets wage-loss benefits for more than 24 months in a row, we help the worker build retirement income by investing 10 per cent of the worker’s eligible benefits for as long as the worker is on compensation.

Workers 65 years or older

Workers 65 years of age or older on your payroll are covered and entitled to benefits if injured. Most benefits will continue as long as required by the injury, regardless of the worker’s age. The only restriction is wage-loss benefits.

For workers 63 years or older, wage-loss benefits can only be paid for a maximum of two years from the date those wage-loss benefits begin, provided the worker is unable to earn all or part of their earnings because of their injury. Medical confirmation is required.

Death benefits

When a worker dies at work, or is found dead in the workplace, in an area where the worker had a right to be in the course of his or her employment, it is presumed that the death was work-related unless it is proved otherwise. The deceased worker’s family may be entitled to expenses related to the death of the worker, including burial and benefits for a limited time:

  • Expenses related to the death of the worker, including burial: a lump sum payment to the worker’s estate to help pay funeral expenses.
  • Spousal benefits: wage-loss benefits, vocational benefits, retirement benefits and benefits for dependent children.

For more information on spousal benefits, see the Dependant Information Package.

A deceased worker’s spouse may be entitled to the same employment services available to an injured worker. This includes:

  • Vocational counselling, and
  • Career assessment and planning, including tuition, books, fees and other expenses while in an approved training program.

Threads of Life is a Canadian registered charity dedicated to supporting families after a workplace fatality, life-altering injury or occupational disease. Visit or view the brochure.

For more information on any of the above benefits, see the Information for Workers Brochure.