Worker Appeals

Appeal submissions

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all appeals relating to an injury claim should be submitted by email. If you wish to submit an appeal relating to an injury claim, you can do so by sending an email:

For injury claim appeals:

Board Appeal Tribunal:

OR   You may submit your appeal through our online forms:

Appeals department:

Workers online
appeal form

Board Appeal Tribunal:

Board Appeal Tribunal
online form

Please note: If you have submitted an appeal by mail (Canada Post) after March 19, 2020, you will need to re-submit through email or online.

If you disagree with a WCB decision made on your injury claim, you have the right to appeal our decision.

The Appeal Process

 All appeals must be made in writing and must include:

  •      The decision you question.
  •      The date the decision was made.
  •      The staff member that made the decision.
  •      Why you disagree with the decision.
  •      How you think it should be resolved.
  •      Any other information to support your position.

There are 3 steps to the appeal process that must be completed in order. A decision must be made at each step before you can move on to the next step.

Step 1:  Initial Review

Contact the staff member who made the initial decision on your claim. Provide any extra information you feel may have been missed. Many misunderstandings and disagreements can be settled at this stage.

Step 2:  Appeals Department

If you still do not agree, you can appeal to the Appeals Department. The Appeals Department is independent from the Operations Division.

You can send your appeal by email to, file the Worker Appeal Form online or send it in writing to the Appeals Department. The Appeals Department will send you a letter telling you that they received your appeal and when you can expect a decision.

An appeals officer will review all claim information related to the decision or issue you are appealing.

Step 3:  Board Appeal Tribunal

If you disagree with the decision of the Appeals Department, you can ask for a further appeal by the Board Appeal Tribunal. You can send your appeal by email to, file the Appeal to Board Form online, or send it in writing to the Board Appeal Tribunal. Board Services will send you a letter telling you that they received your appeal and when you can expect a decision.

The Board Appeal Tribunal is the final step in the appeal process, unless your appeal is about a valid medical question.

A valid medical question is one where your doctor or chiropractor disagrees with the medical position taken by the WCB on your claim.

Medical Review Panel

If you have a valid medical question, you can ask for a Medical Review Panel. You can only ask for the panel if Steps 1, 2 and 3 have been completed.

There is a fact sheet that gives you information on a Medical Review Panel. Here is the basic information:

  •  Your doctor or chiropractor must sign an Enabling Certificate explaining why they believe our decision is medically incorrect. Enabling Certificates are available from the WCB’s Medical and Board Services departments.
  • The Medical Review Panel is made up of three people; a Chair selected by the WCB in consultation with the Saskatchewan Medical Association, and two doctors who you select.
  • The decision of the Medical Review Panel is final and binding on you and on us. This means that you cannot appeal the panel’s decision. It also means we must accept the panel’s decision.

For more information the Board Tribunal or Medical Review Panels refer to the detailed fact sheets.

If you need help

You can have someone help you with your appeal and you can ask for information from your claim file. You have to complete forms to do this.

Print these forms off, complete them and mail or fax them to us.

Fair Practices Office (FPO)

The FPO receives inquiries and questions about practices in all areas of our service delivery. It cannot review issues that are under appeal or appeal decisions. For more information on the FPO, refer to the detailed fact sheet.

You can also ask the Office of the Workers’ Advocate to give you free and independent advice about your claim and your appeal.