By discipline: Optometry
Optometrists are accredited with Saskatchewan Health and are, therefore, automatically accredited with the WCB and authorized to treat WCB customers.
- Optometrists invoice us for services provided to WCB customers following the Saskatchewan Medical Services Branch (MSB) payment schedule and assessment rules and WCB Physicians’ fee schedule for WCB specific fees;
- Summarize all services provided using the Doctor’s Billing (DOC) form or your own invoice form;
- Follow the fee schedule agreed to by your professional association;
Payment can only be issued if the invoice meets our criteria. The following information is required:
- Worker’s name
- Worker’s address
- Provincial health number
- Date of birth
- Date(s) of service
- Care provider number
- Clinic number
- Optometrist’s name
- Optometrist’s address
- Optometrist’s Phone and fax number
- Fee code(s)
- Fee code amount
- Number of units
WCB will not pay any account rendered by a physician, surgeon, hospital or other health care professional or institution for medical aid service if application for payment is received by Operations or Medical Accounts after twelve-month period from the time the medical aid is administered to an injured worker. See Procedure PRO53/2006.
Retain your daily record of the service you provide to our customers in case an audit is required.
If you need to update your address, please contact Medical Services Branch (MSB).
When an injury claim is disallowed:
- Optometrists are reimbursed by MSB for treatment provided; and
- The WCB pays all reporting fees to date of notification.
Primary practitioners are required to provide a letter to report all injuries, including those that do not result in time off work. Prompt reporting allows the WCB to arrange timely payment of benefits to injured workers.
Health care providers, like employers and workers, are required to report to the WCB any injury that requires medical attention, whether or not the worker needs time off work beyond the day of the injury.
In treating WCB customers, optometrists will:
- Comply with the Saskatchewan Health standards of care and fee schedule established for your professional group;
- Demonstrate ethical practice standards on a day-to-day basis, including disclosure to any perspective WCB customer of any business relationship you may have with their employer. This allows the worker to make an informed decision regarding their choice of care provider; and
- Refrain from using their affiliation with the WCB in any advertising for their services.