Learn about WorkSafe Saskatchewan’s initiative launched in 2008 as a call to action and a goal for leaders, employers and workers to achieve zero work-related injuries.
Make zero your mission – at home, work and play
What is Mission: Zero?
Mission: Zero was launched in May 2008 as an initiative of WorkSafe Saskatchewan, the partnership between the Saskatchewan Workers' Compensation Board (WCB) and the Ministry of Labour Relations and Workplace Safety. At the time, Saskatchewan had the second highest workplace injury rate in Canada with a total injury rate of 10.21 per 100 workers. That means that for every 100 workers, more than 10 workers were injured on the job.
Mission: Zero was developed as a call to action and a goal for leaders, employers and workers to achieve zero workplace injuries. Thanks to the health and safety prevention efforts of our customers and partners, since 2008, the province of Saskatchewan has achieved significant reductions in the workplace total injury rate.
Ten years later in 2018, Saskatchewan’s total workplace injury rate dropped from second highest to fifth highest in Canada. This suggests that we still have a great deal of work to do, but it shows that we are moving in the right direction.
The WCB is only one organization and we can’t do this alone. Only together will we make Saskatchewan workplaces safe.
In 2009, Safe Saskatchewan adopted Mission: Zero, the symbol and its ambitious goal, as the prevention goal for all injuries – on and off the job. It has since been adopted as the symbol for injury prevention and the goal for over 600 companies and organizations in Saskatchewan through the Health and Safety Leadership Charter.
What does Mission: Zero mean?
- Mission: Zero means working toward zero injuries, zero fatalities and zero suffering.
- It means believing all unintentional injuries are predictable and preventable.
- It means that the only right number of unintentional injuries and fatalities is zero.
- It means becoming a champion to make your community a safer place to live, work and play.
- It means, as employees and citizens, we are going to work together to make Saskatchewan the safest province to live, work and play.
- It means, at my company, we believe in Mission: Zero. We put safety first and prevent injuries to ourselves, our co-workers, our families and neighbours.
It is up to all of us to prevent injuries.
For more information about workplace injury prevention and reaching Mission: Zero, visit www.worksafesask.ca.