Read excerpts from the WCB’s governing legislation on compensation for certain dependent children aged 18 to 25 of a worker who died from a workplace injury.
83 (1) Subject to subsections (2) to (7), each dependent child of a deceased worker who is at least 18 years of age and in full-time attendance at a secondary or post-secondary institution is to be paid:
(2) No amount is payable pursuant to subsection (1) after the later of:
(3) The amounts described in subsection (1) are payable for a maximum of three years.
(4) Subject to subsection (5), the amount of the monthly allowance mentioned in clause (1)(a) is $376.61 in 2013, adjusted annually by the percentage increase in the Consumer Price Index.
(5) For the purposes of subsection (4), the percentage increase in the Consumer Price Index must be the percentage increase for the 12 months ending on November 30 in each year, and that percentage increase must be applied to determine the monthly allowance for the year following the year in which the calculation is made.
(6) If the board is paying an allowance pursuant to subsection (1), the board may increase the monthly allowance to an amount that it considers fair and just.
(7) Notwithstanding subsection (1), if the amount of compensation payable pursuant to section 85 with respect to any child to whom subsection (1) applies is greater than the amount payable pursuant to subsection (1), the board shall pay that greater amount.
Surviving dependent spouse – Section 81
If dependants do not live together – Section 82
Adopting parent, etc., of dependent children – Section 84
If there are only dependent children – Section 85
Other dependants – Section 86
Partial dependency – Section 87
Proof of necessities, etc. – Section 88
Other benefits to be taken into account – Section 96
If worker or dependant under legal disability – Section 97
Board may fix periods of payment – Section 98
Suspension of payment – Section 99
Print or share this page with others