Optional personal coverage

Page intro

Learn who can purchase optional personal coverage and for what amount. Optional personal coverage is for proprietors, directors and partners who are not automatically covered under The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013 (the Act).

Page content

Optional personal coverage is for individuals not automatically covered under The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013 (the Act). When personal coverage is purchased, the applicant becomes a worker and is eligible for benefits under the Act. Wage-loss benefits will be based on the amount of coverage purchased by the applicant.

Optional personal coverage may be purchased by:

  • owners and their spouses
  • partners and their spouses
  • directors that do not receive a Canada Revenue Agency T4 income tax slip
  • elected officials of a city, town or village
  • members of the governing body of a non-profit corporation or organization

Frequently asked questions

Accordion content

A: Optional personal coverage is coverage that insures you against wage loss and provides medical and rehabilitation benefits if you are injured at work. Wage-loss benefits are based on the amount of coverage you have chosen (you may need to provide proof of earnings). The WCB may also provide travel expenses, vocational rehabilitation, lump sum payments for permanent functional impairment (PFI) and benefits for a worker’s family in the event of a workplace death or serious injury. Learn more about benefits and assistance for workers covered by the WCB.

Optional personal coverage also provides no-fault compensation. If an injury is work-related, the worker is eligible for benefits regardless of how the injury occurred. The worker and employer waive the right to sue. There is no argument over responsibility or liability for an injury.

A: Optional personal coverage may be purchased for any amount between the minimum personal coverage amount and the maximum assessable wage rate for the current year. The amount of coverage purchased should reflect actual employment earnings.

The cost of optional personal coverage depends on the type of industry you are in and how much coverage you purchase. For example, if your premium rate is $2.03 per $100 of coverage and you purchase $40,000 coverage, your assessment for the year will be $812.

* Please note there is a $100 minimum annual assessment.

Important information about personal coverage:

  • Coverage is subject to a minimum of three months each year.
  • Your Employer’s Payroll Statement (EPS) must be returned by Feb. 28 each year. If our office has not received this form by the due date, your coverage will be cancelled and you will be responsible for premiums due to date.
  • Payments must be made by the due date on your Statement of Account (SOA) or your coverage will be cancelled.

A: Optional personal coverage can be requested on your annual Employer’s Payroll Statement (EPS) or you can apply by calling the employer services department at 1.800.667.7590.

If you are a new employer, you can also complete an employer registration form online.

A: Your personal coverage takes effect at 12:01 a.m. the day after we receive your application or at a later date if you request it.

A: It is important to base the coverage you purchase on your actual employment earnings. The WCB uses this amount to determine the compensation you will receive in the event of a workplace injury or illness. The WCB sets the minimum and maximum amount of personal coverage every year. You can purchase coverage between the minimum and maximum. You must provide proof of earnings if you get injured.

A: The WCB accepts these documents as proof of earnings:

  • A Statement of Business or Professional Activities as submitted to the Canada Revenue Agency.
  • A declaration from a chartered professional accountant (CPA) verifying actual employment earnings.

If your proof of earnings is less than the amount of coverage you have purchased, we will reduce your coverage to the confirmed amount. If you do not provide proof of your earnings, we will reduce your coverage to the minimum. We will not give you a refund on your premiums, so please make sure you choose an amount that is no more than your actual earnings.

A: Your coverage is in effect until you cancel in writing, or the WCB cancels it due to non-compliance.

A: To cancel coverage, you must send a request in writing. Coverage will be cancelled the day the WCB receives your request and you will be responsible for premiums to the date of cancellation.

A: Optional personal coverage is only available to directors of an incorporated company who are not carried on the payroll. You may no longer be eligible for personal coverage and should call employer services to discuss.

A: Independent workers are eligible to apply for their own WCB employer account if they have secured contracts with more than one principal providing the same type of work within the current and three years prior to application for coverage.

An independent worker who is eligible for a WCB account may apply for personal coverage.

An independent worker who is not eligible for, or chooses not to elect personal coverage is considered a worker of the principal who is operating in a mandatory industry. This means that the independent worker is covered through the principal who is responsible to report and remit premiums on their behalf.

Information for principals

  • An account cannot be set up until work is secured in Saskatchewan with a confirmed start date. A bid letter can be provided to the contractor without a confirmed start date.
  • If you receive a “deemed” status on a clearance for a contractor, you are required to release payment, and responsible for paying premiums based on the labour portion of the contract, which will be reflected on your annual assessment.
  • As per Section 164 of The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013 (the Act), It is legally prohibited to recover the cost of the premiums from the contractor, unless they are supplying revenue producing equipment and an operator as per Section 8 of the Act.
  • If any of your unregistered contractors are injured, they are covered through your account and you are responsible to submit the Employer’s Initial Report of Injury (E1) form.

For specific inquiries

If you are:

  • ready to register your business
  • requesting a clearance or a letter of good standing
  • revising or updating your payroll
  • discussing your statement of account and/or making a payment


Employer services department

Contact us

For general inquiries, contact us.

Employer Resource Centre

Claim information

For questions on your worker’s injury claim, contact us.

Operations division