Information for temporary foreign workers

Page intro

If you are a temporary foreign worker who is hurt at work, the WCB will need a copy of your work permit, your social insurance number, your Saskatchewan address and your address in your home country.

Page content

If you are hurt at work, there are three things you must do immediately:

  1. Get medical attention if you need it.
  2. Tell your employer (direct supervisor).
  3. Report your injury to the Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) by completing a Worker’s Initial Report of Injury (W1) form online. Get started with automatic access and create an online account. Learn about the online services available and how they can help you with the claims process.

    You can also submit your W1 form by calling 1.800.787.9288. A person at the WCB can complete the form for you over the phone.

The WCB will need:

  • a copy of your work permit
  • your social insurance number
  • your Saskatchewan address
  • your address in your home country

Frequently asked questions

Accordion content

A: Contact us at or call 1.800.667.7590.

A: The WCB will provide survivor benefits to your dependants, such as your spouse and children. The WCB needs to be able to contact your spouse or children in case of your death. Be sure your employer has their contact information.

A: All workers and employers in covered industries must report workplace injuries to the WCB. This is the law.

If you have been injured and cannot work, the WCB provides earnings loss benefits to injured workers while they are away from work.

You must complete a form called a Worker’s Initial Report of Injury (W1) form (available online) so the WCB knows the details of your injury, your income and how to contact you.


A: You must still report it. The WCB is a no-fault insurance system.

A: You will not lose your temporary residency status or work permit, even if you are not working.

If your work permit is due to expire and you have not finished your medical treatment, you can apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for an extension of your permit. You must apply for the extension before your permit expires.

A: You cannot be fired for being hurt at work. You cannot lose your job for reporting your injury.

It is the law for you, your employer and your doctor or care providers to report workplace injuries.

A: You might not be able to do everything that you did at work before your injury. If your position with your employer changes, you or your employer should contact IRCC. IRCC will check if you can use the same work permit or if you need a new one.

If you cannot return to the same employer because of your injuries, you must contact IRCC to see if your work permit allows you to work for a different employer or if you need a new work permit.

A: The WCB may provide income replacement to workers injured on the job in Saskatchewan. The WCB may also provide for medical care and rehabilitation costs due to the injury that happened while you were working in Saskatchewan. Depending on your injury, you may also qualify for the WCB’s annuity program when you turn 65.

Learn more about benefits and assistance that may be available to you.


A: Yes. You can recover in your home country. Talk to your WCB case manager. You must tell the WCB before you return to your home country. If the WCB cannot contact you, your benefits may be suspended.

The WCB will help you arrange to pay your medical costs to a care provider in your home country, as appropriate.

If you need translation help, please ask your WCB case manager. He or she will help you.

Call to action
CTA: Looking for Forms and Facr Sheet

Looking for forms and fact sheets?

We want you to be as up-to-date and informed as possible. View fact sheets and other publications that contain valuable information and answers to your questions.

Call to action button
View forms and fact sheets

Submit a form

Use the WCB's secure document transfer to submit a picture (JPEG) or PDF document or submit the files by email.