Voluntary coverage

Page intro

Learn when you can apply for voluntary coverage when operating in an industry not automatically covered by the WCB.

Top call to action buttons
Page content

Voluntary coverage may be applied for by employers in industries excluded by Section 3 (Farming & Ranching) of The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013 (the Act) or by the Miscellaneous Regulations (all other excluded industries).

If you are not required to register with the WCB and do not have voluntary coverage, in the event of a work-related injury the Saskatchewan principal (a person or business that hires a contractor to do work or services) may be liable for any legal action taken by an out-of-province worker in the event of a work injury, unless:

  • The Saskatchewan principal becomes responsible for the premiums payable to the WCB, or
  • You elect voluntary coverage with us for the work to be done in Saskatchewan.

Farming coverage in Saskatchewan frequently asked questions

Accordion content

A: Farming and ranching operations in Saskatchewan are excluded from coverage under the Act. Coverage is voluntary and requires submitting an Application for Voluntary Farm Coverage form.

A: An application for voluntary farm coverage must be completed and returned to the WCB with an Employer Registration Application form. WCB coverage will be effective as of 12:01 a.m. the day following the WCB’s receipt of the completed form.

A: Once you have been accepted for WCB voluntary farm coverage, the same rules apply to you as to any employer in a mandatory coverage industry. This means all workers and contractors are covered. Notification must be provided to all workers of the effective date of workers’ compensation coverage. The same benefits and obligations as any other employer under the Act will apply. For the worker, this means earnings loss replacement and medical expenses. For the employer, this means protection against lawsuits for a workplace injury.

A: Yes. All family members except the spouse of a proprietor or a partner are considered to be workers and are entitled to WCB coverage if they are paid a wage. Coverage for proprietors, partners and/or their partners is voluntary. Coverage for directors who receive a T4 slip from the Canada Revenue Agency is mandatory.

A: No. Coverage is in place until a written cancellation request is received to terminate the voluntary workers’ compensation coverage.

The WCB can terminate coverage for non-compliance with its regulations, or in the case of personal coverage, non-payment of assessment.

A: Wages are the total gross earnings before deductions. The provision of room and/or board, or farm produce or other taxable benefits must be included as wages.

A: The farmer, as the employer, pays the premiums on behalf of the workers. The first installment is generally due within 30 days of assessment and the balance is due by September 1.

A: Learn current information on premium rates and how they’re set.

You can also contact employer services by email, or by phoning 1.800.667.7590.

The same rate percentage will apply to all workers, the farmer, their spouse and children. For workers, premiums will be calculated based on the actual wages paid. If a farmer chooses personal coverage, the premiums will be based on the level of coverage chosen.

A: If a farm is incorporated, coverage is still optional. If an application for coverage is made, all workers are covered, as are directors who receive a T4 slip from the Canada Revenue Agency. Coverage for directors not carried on the payroll is optional.

A: When there is an exchange of labour between farmers with coverage, both farmers’ workers are covered. Coverage for the farmers and/or spouses is dependent on whether personal coverage has been elected, or if wages are paid to a director.

When there is an exchange of labour between a farmer with voluntary coverage and another farmer without coverage, the worker of the farmer without coverage is deemed to be a worker of the farmer with coverage. Neither farmer is covered unless personal coverage has been chosen, or the farmer is a director on wages.

Where the farmer who has coverage exchanges labour with a farmer who does not have coverage, the farmer with coverage and all his workers continue to be covered.

A: A written request for cancellation of coverage is required. Written cancellation requests can be emailed to: employerservices@wcbsask.com or mailed to:

Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board
Attention: Employer services
200 -1881 Scarth St.
Regina SK S4P 4L1

Cancellation will be effective the day the written request is received.


For specific inquiries

If you are:

  • ready to register your business
  • requesting a clearance or a letter of good standing
  • revising or updating your payroll
  • discussing your statement of account and/or making a payment

Employer services department

Contact us

For general inquiries, contact us.

Employer Resource Centre

Claim information

For questions on your worker’s injury claim, contact us.

Operations division