Information for workers on COVID-19

Publish date
Article content

To contact the WCB about a claim, please email or call 1.800.667.7590.

The WCB’s preferred method for the submission of forms, reports or receipts is by using the WCB's secure document transfer or by emailing Please send either a picture (JPEG) or a PDF document.

The following information is to assist workers with questions surrounding possible work-related exposure to COVID-19. The Government of Saskatchewan has removed the COVID-19 public health order, effective Feb. 28, 2022. However, because COVID-19 falls under the WCB’s communicable diseases policy and procedures, the Saskatchewan WCB will continue to cover eligible COVID-19 workplace injury claims.

The WCB continues supporting workers and employers as everyone takes the next steps in learning to live with COVID-19.

When COVID-19 may be work-related

A worker may be entitled to compensation if they contract COVID-19 and there is a confirmed link between the worker’s exposure and their employment. Proving a sole connection between COVID-19 and the workplace may become more challenging due to high levels of community transmission.

Based on WCB policy, Injuries – Communicable Diseases (POL 02/2010), the following conditions must be met:

  • There is a confirmed exposure to the disease in the workplace.


  • The time period that the illness is contracted is in close proximity to the confirmed workplace exposure.


  • The nature of employment creates a greater risk of exposure for the worker than for the general population.

WCB injury claims submitted for work-related COVID-19 exposures are adjudicated on a case-by-case basis. Each injury claim will be assessed on its own merits with consideration to relevant medical information. This includes a medical diagnosis, the nature of the occupation and the extent of exposure. The WCB gathers information from the worker and the employer to confirm the injury and the source of exposure.

If a worker suspects that they contracted COVID-19 through a sole link to employment, the WCB encourages the worker to seek a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test or a rapid antigen test through a local community provider and contact the WCB to initiate the injury claim process.

  • The WCB does not want access to testing to become a barrier to your entitlement. There are community providers in the province that offer PCR tests and rapid antigen tests for those who need them for non-health purposes, such as travel, or to confirm a COVID-19 diagnosis for the WCB or insurance claim purposes.
  • The WCB may reimburse private test expenses if a workplace exposure is under review or is proven to be linked to the workplace.

There are three things you need to do immediately if you believe you contracted COVID-19 at work:

  1. Get medical attention, if needed, and obtain a PCR test or a rapid antigen test through a local community provider.
  2. Let your employer know about your test result.

Learn more about what to do if you’re injured at work and how to file a claim

Examples of claims that may be accepted

Outbreak in the workplace: A worker, whose place of employment has had other employees test positive for COVID-19, is at a greater risk of contracting the virus and may have an acceptable claim.

Acute care hospital worker: A worker providing treatment to patients for COVID-19. As this worker is at greater risk than the general public, they may have an acceptable claim.

Retail worker: A worker, while working with the general public, who interacts with a customer who has been confirmed as having contracted COVID-19, may have an acceptable claim.

Frequently asked questions for workers on COVID-19

For more information, read the frequently asked questions for workers on COVID-19.

Categorized under: