Effective date: July 1, 2021
Application: Applies to all students participating in approved work experience programs sponsored by the Ministries of Education, Advanced Education, or Immigration and Career Training.
Policy subject: Employer coverage and registration
To define circumstances for providing coverage to students in work experience programs.
Community-Based Organization (CBO), also referred to as career services funded organization, means an organization recognized by the Ministry of Immigration and Career Training that delivers training or employment services for no profit.
Host organization means the organization (private, public, non-profit, agency, business, or association, etc.) at which a participating student undertakes a work experience program.
Participating student means an individual who is engaged in an unpaid work experience program and who is registered with:
A student is considered unpaid even if they receive payments, such as an allowance or stipend for training or social assistance issued on a T4A or T5, as these are not considered employment earnings.
Work experience program, also referred to as work-integrated learning assignment, means a program, course, or component of a course offered by a learning institution or a CBO, where participating students work without pay for a host organization for the purpose of learning and gaining work experience.
Programs Offered by CBOs
(1) POL 12/2012, Coverage – Students in Work-Based Learning Assignments (effective January 1, 2013 to September 18, 2021).
(2) November 10, 2014. Policy and procedure review completed.
(3) January 1, 2014. References updated in accordance with The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013.
(4) POL 06/2007 and PRO 06/2007, Coverage – Students in Work-Based Learning Assignments (Saskatchewan Learning effective May 12, 2006 to December 31, 2012; Saskatchewan Advanced Education and Employment effective April 19, 2007).
(5) POL 07/2006 and PRO 07/2006, Coverage – Students in Work Based Learning Assignments (effective November 1, 2006 to May 11, 2006 for Saskatchewan Learning and April 18, 2007 for Saskatchewan Advanced Education and Employment).
(6) POL 08/2004 and PRO 08/2004, Coverage – Students in Work Based Learning Assignments (effective October 1, 2004 to October 31, 2006).
(7) POL 15/1994, Act Coverage for Students Placed in Work Training Assignments by Saskatchewan Education, Training and Employment (effective July 13, 1994 to September 30, 2004).
(8) POL 17/1989, Act Coverage for Students Placed in Work Training Assignments by Saskatchewan Education (effective October 10, 1989 to July 12, 1994).
Print or share this page with others