Effective date: January 1, 2014
Approved date: December 18, 2013
Application: All customers.
Policy subject: General
To ensure the public release of policy directives.
Board means collectively the Board Members appointed under Section 9 of The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013 (the “Act”).
Policy directives are policy and procedure documents that form the basis of actions performed or decisions made under the Act.
Procedures support policies and provide specific instructions for day-to-day tasks or functions, required to implement policy.
- The Act recognizes the authority of the Board to develop policy directives (Sections 2(1)(ee), 18 and 23).
- The Board is required to make policy directives available to the public in a manner that the Board considers necessary (Section 19(2)).
- The Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) is required to make its decisions on the real merits and justice of each case but may consider its policy directives (Section 23).
- The Board delegates its powers and functions to its staff through policy directives. Actions performed and decisions made by its staff are bound by these policy directives (POL and PRO 02/2019, Decision Making).
- All current policy directives, other than purely administrative documents, are published electronically in a Policy and Procedure Manual (Manual). Policy directives that have an effect on injury benefits or employer assessment must be included in the Manual.
- The Manual can be downloaded and printed at www.wcbsask.com.
- The Manual is provided in portable document format (PDF) to ensure access regardless of the computer system or internet browser used. Customers are advised to download free Adobe Reader software.
- Customers can view a paper copy of the Manual during business hours in the reception areas of the Regina and Saskatoon offices.
- Upon request, the WCB will provide paper or electronic copies of individual policies and procedures.
- The Manual is updated within 30 days of the effective date of each new or revised policy and procedure.
- A free email subscription service to inform customers of changes to the Manual is available at www.wcbsask.com.
The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013
Sections 2(1)(ee), 9, 18(1), 18(2), 18(3), 18(4), 18(5), 19(2)
(1) POL 03/94, Board Policy Directives (effective February 9, 1994).
(2) February 9, 1994, amendment to The Workers’ Compensation Act provided that “the board shall make its policy directives available to the public.”
(3) POL 10/96, Amend Status of Existing Policies and Approve New Procedure Manual (January 1, 1996).
(4) POL 11/96, Approval and Issuance of new Board Policy Manual (April 1, 1996).
(5) PRO 60/2000, Issuance of Procedures Manual with Housekeeping Amendments (November 10, 2000).
Print or share this page with others