Consumer Price Index (CPI) – Annual Indexing
Effective date: January 1, 2021
Application: Applies to all workers and dependants eligible for benefits and allowances identified below.
Policy subject: Benefits - General
To increase 2021 benefits based on the increase to the CPI.
- Section 69 of The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013 (the “Act”) requires that compensation being paid for loss of earning capacity under Sections 68(1), 71 and 72 be adjusted annually by the percentage increase in the Consumer Price Index (CPI).
- The basis for the annual CPI adjustment is the average of percentage increases in the Regina and Saskatoon All-Items CPI for the 12 months ending on November 30 in each year. In any given year, if there is no change in the CPI, or if it decreases, it will not be adjusted for that year.
- CPI adjustments will also be made to the following expenses and allowances:
- Lump sum to assist with the necessary expenses of the death of the worker, including burial, rounded to the nearest dollar (Section 80).
- Dependent and sole dependent children (Sections 83 and 85(1)).
- Spousal supplement, former Act claims (Section 89(2)).
- Clothing Allowances (POL 19/2010, Allowance – Clothing).
- Personal Care Allowance, rounded to the nearest dollar (POL 10/2014, Allowance – Personal Care).
- Eyeglass frames, rounded to the nearest dollar (POL 11/2016, Expenses – Orthotics/Appliances – Provision, Replacement and Repair).
- Accommodation allowances for vocational rehabilitation programs (POL 39/2010, Expenses – Travel and Sustenance – General).
- Minimum annuity amount (POL 05/2020, Annuities).
- Adjustments to compensation benefits and other allowances that are based on the CPI increase can be implemented on the written instruction of the Chief Executive Officer.
- The percentage increase in the CPI, effective January 1, 2021 is 0.9%.
(1) PRO 14/2019, Consumer Price Index (CPI) – Annual Increase – 2020.
(2) PRO 54/2018, Consumer Price Index (CPI) – Annual Increase – 2019.
(3) PRO 60/2017, Consumer Price Index (CPI) – Annual Increase – 2018.
(4) PRO 60/2016, Consumer Price Index (CPI) – Annual Increase – 2017.
Print or share this page with others