Effective date: January 1, 2020
Application: To approve the Workers’ Compensation Board’s Governance Policy and subsequent updates.
Policy subject: General
To approve WCB’s Governance Policy and subsequent updates.
- The Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) Board Members are responsible for the stewardship of the WCB, and to oversee the WCB's adherence to provisions of The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013.
- The Board believes that a strong governance framework is necessary to ensure that it fulfils its responsibilities to workers and employers in the most effective manner. As a result, the Board is committed to ensuring that its governance structures and activities reflect sound governance principles.
- The Board Members hereby approve the Governance Policy that describes WCB’s public policy objectives and the governance framework, which has been adopted to achieve them.
- The Board Members will review the Governance Policy annually. It will be revised when appropriate to ensure alignment with:
- The Workers’ Compensation Act, 2013.
- The needs of the WCB, and
- Governance best practices.
(1) February 3, 2021.
In 2019, the Board reviewed and agreed upon changes to the Governance Policy and Protocols. However, during the 020/2021 governance review process, it was determined that formal approval of those amendments had not been documented. As the Board’s actions throughout 2020 had been governed by the 2019 Governance Policy as amended, a Special Meeting of the Board was held to finalize that approval effective January 1, 2020.
(2) September 2019. Governance Policy and Protocols reviewed.
(3) POL 01/2017, Governance Policy (effective June 24, 2017 to December 31, 2019).
(4) POL 09/2014, Governance Policy (effective June 24, 2014 to January 16, 2017).
(5) ADM POL 13/2000, Corporate Governance (effective January 1, 2001 to June 23, 2014).
(6) ADM POL 04/2001, Mandate of the Audit Committee of the Board (effective June 4, 2001 to June 23, 2014).
Print or share this page with others